ABOUT THE CROATIAN STUDIES CENTRE
The Croatian Studies Centre (CSC) was established within the School of Modern Languages at Sydney’s Macquarie University in 1994. The Centre offers learning programs of the Croatian language, culture, and history at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The Centre also has a comprehensive library of Croatian publications and books and provides an archive facility for the Croatian Studies Foundation (CSF).
The Centre is engaged in academic research and publication activities and supports and organises conferences and symposia. It publishes the Croatian Studies Review, which is published in English making the Centre’s research to available to both Croatian and non-Croatian speaking readers.
Over the past five years, the average number of student enrollments per year has exceeded 100, which demonstrates the growing level of interest in learning the Croatian language.
The Centre has independently and in conjunction with institutions in Croatia, published over 20 books, as part of university project with the cooperation of the Croatian community in Australia.
The Centre has organised six international conferences in 1988, 1993, 1997, 2003, 2009 and in February 2014 as part of the 30th Anniversary of Croatian Studies at Macquarie University.
The employees of the Centre have participated in a number of projects together with the Foundation and the wider Croatian community. As a highlight, the presentation of Croatian Studies at the Language Expo in Melbourne (1992), Brisbane (1994) and Sydney (1996) together with the participation in a number of conferences, summer schools and other seminars in Croatia.
There are several options available to students who wish to learn/study Croatian language at Macquarie University. The Centre offers award programs Certificate in Croatian and Diploma in Croatian, which are HECS funded and available directly through Macquarie University.
Students can select the following options and programs:
1. A Single Unit
This is a non-award program that is open to everyone. The cost of the program is approximately $1,200 per language unit.
2. A Diploma in Croatian.
This is a program open to everyone and there are no prerequisites. The program is part-time and takes up to three years to complete. you need to have a Bachelor’s Degree or be enrolled in a Bachelor’s Degree at an Australian university. This program can take up to three years to complete. Once you achieve 18 credit points in the Diploma with GPA of 2.0 you are eligible to transfer to BA.
3. Part of a Macquarie University BA Degree majoring in Croatian
4. Part of a Degree at any tertiary institution in Australia for cross-institution students.
For further information please phone Jennifer Heward, Administrative Officer, Department of International Studies, Faculty of Arts, Macquarie University, on: (02) 9850 7005.
.Applications and Admissions
Applications for undergraduate Macquarie University courses are processed through UAC (apply online at www.uac.edu.au in September). You should also consult the “Applying and Enrolling” section of the Future Students website at www.futurestudent.mq.edu.au for application procedures. Please note that this website also contains information on alternative pathways to Macquarie outside of the standard UAC entry point.
- For information on application procedures and dates for Cross-institution students see “Application for Admission.” Further information on applying, enrolling or withdrawing from cross-institutional enrollment can be found at www..reg.mq.edu.au/undergrad/admissions/crossinstitution
- Further information on applying, enrolling or withdrawing from non-award enrollment can be found at the Centre for Open Education at www.coe.mq.edu.au/nonawd.htm. If you have any questions, please ring the COE on (02) 9850 7470.
- For information on applications for Diploma in Croatian contact the Department of International Studies on (02) 9850 7005 or Croatian Studies Centre on (02) 9850 7040.
Start your journey into the heart of Croatia’s culture and language by applying now. We look forward to welcoming you soon.